Adders 1sts 6 v 5 Southampton 1sts EH CUP QUARTER-FINAL

Scorers: M.Webb(2), J.Wagg, R.Currie, K.Ford, C.Hobbs

Atherstone Mens first team reached the semi-final of the EH Knockout Cup for the second year in a row, but made hard work of it despite having a four goal, first half lead.

They were facing Southampton for the second year in succession and knew that they had a tough game ahead of them but never in their wildest dreams did Martin Webbs team think that they would be three goals ahead and cruising within the first 15 minutes! Indeed, the opening goal came after just 40 seconds when Josh Wagg latched onto a speculative aerial ball from Martin Webb and rounded the keeper before pushing the ball into an empty net.
Lloyd Crowley then had a shot stopped on the line by a defenders foot and Martin Webb made no mistake from the resultant penalty and then shortly afterwards added his second of the match from open play. Three goals ahead in less than 15 minutes!
Southampton were in complete disarray as the Adders forward press constantly turned the ball over and it was only the Southampton keeper who kept his team in the game as pulled off a series of great saves. Ironically though, he gifted the Adders their fourth goal just before half time when he completely missed a simple kick clearance and left Cameron Hobbs with the simplest of chances. The half time whistle came to the relief of the visitors as they had been completely outplayed in a superb Adders display of pace and team play. 
There was no way that anyone would have given Southampton a chance in the second half but they came out fighting and narrowed the scoreline when the ball was deflected over the line past an unsighted Will Parsons in goals. The Adders struck back with a goal of their own when Keelan Ford tapped in from close range, but Southampton then added another goal and once again they scented the opportunity of a come back.
Chris Currie slid home the Adders sixth goal following some great work and pass from Jack Negus but Southampton failed to lie down and give in! With the score at 6-2 and 15 minutes left to play most teams would have expected to lose but the Hampshire side fought hard and slowly eased their way back into the game. They scored two more goals to narrow the scoreline to 6-4 and then removed their keeper in last five minutes as the side pressed harder and harder for vital goals. 
The Adders were under the cosh, making errors and gave away several needless short corners. Southampton struck their fifth goal from a short corner as time ran out to the relief of the Adders team and the pitchside spectators.
The side was through to the semi-final for the second year in a row by the skin of their teeth.